Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Shepherd's Pie, Oh My!

Yes, I think I made one of the simplest things ever and it was sooooo good!

My version of Shepherd's Pie

1-1.5lbs ground beef
1 onion
3-4 tbsp of flour
1-2 bay leaves
garlic powder, salt, and pepper
1 qt. beef broth
mixed veggies (I used frozen peas and greenbeans and added a can of corn)
white potatoes (I used 3)
1/4 c sour cream
2 tbsp. butter
1 oz. cream cheese
splash of milk
Shredded cheese

Brown ground beef and onion. Sprinkle 3-4 tbsp of flour over the meat and cook for a few minutes. Slowly add beef broth. (I only used about 3/4 of the carton) Throw in bay leaf, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Let simmer for about 20 minutes until it is reduced down to a gravy consistency.

Meanwhile, I throw in my veggies into a microwavable bowl and cook them til they are hot.

Peel, cut, and boil potatoes. Once fork tender, drain and add the sour cream, butter, cream cheese (optional), and milk. I use a hand mixer to blend together.

Then simply layer the meat mixture, then the vegetables, then spread the mashed potatoes on top. Top with some shredded cheese and pop it into a 375* oven until the cheese is melted.

I love this recipe! It is so simple, but tastes so good! And the best part about it is that you can change the veggies to whatever you like, and change the meat and potato quantities to suit your family size.

Try this one out!

No comments:

Post a Comment